To build a meaningful SEO dashboard can be tricky from time to time. Especially when you are under time pressure and have a lot of client or colleague wishes to have to be taken into account. Usually the first questions that come in mind are, what software tool should I use? Which data sources are most important and reliable for my SEO monitoring dashboard? And how do I maintain and update all the different data tables from all this tools in an automated way? The key is to include your colleagues and clients in defining those questions. Only then can they also ensure that the report or dashboard is also interpreted by the colleagues and thus then also can be better used.
Define the right questions – then you might already know the right answer. Here are some questions that can be answered with a SEO monitoring dashboard:
- What is my websites currently rank on the organic search?
- What are the most relevant keywords and what are their traffic potentials?
- How did my main competitors rank developed over the past?
- What are my low hanging fruits for keywords and traffic volume?
- Which of my webpages rank for a certain keyword?
- How is the traffic from SEO converting into leads or sales?
- What is my overall visibility in search engines?
- How can I optimize my linkbuilding strategy?
Track your data with the right SEO monitoring dashboard tool:
To get the right answers to your questions, you’ll have to choose the right metrics from a reliable and well documented data sources first. Your data is only as good as your tracking structure. So be aware of your data and talk to experts before you decide to implement a webmonitoring and tracking tool. Choosing the right tracking is a very critical step, because data from tools that are not understandable, might drive you in the wrong direction. These are the most common SEO tools to track your webmonitoring stats and SERPs:
- Google Search Console: This tool was created for webmasters. It helps them tracking their current statistics for their websites. The data from this tool is the very accurate, because it gets its stats directly from google itself. A disadvantage would be, that it can only show you the data from your own websites, which you have access for, so it can`t really be used to monitor your competitors.
- Other SEO Tools: Sistrix, XOVI and Searchmetrics give you access to your competitors’ keyword ranks, backlinks and traffic volumes. Many of this tools will have a monthly licensing fee, but some are free. A free example is: MOZ
- Web Analytics Tools: To analyze how your traffic is converting through your organic search ranks you must add one more tool. A web analytics tool to analyze your website user traffic and conversions. Two of the most common tools for web analytics are Google Analytics and Yandex Metrica. They help you track your website and analyze how traffic impacts your pages.
Select your key performance metrics and dimensions:
Selecting the most important metrics and dimensions is very important for the quality of your SEO dashboards, because it already defines your queries for the charts, tables and filters. There are many dimensions and metrics to choose from different tools. Be aware about that with every new dimension, the complexity of designing, with dozen additional filter and grouping possibilities increases. In the following we will show you some most common dimensions and metrics that are used to monitor the SEO ranks and stats of your website or online shop.
The most important dimensions are time and location, because you always will deal with them when you are facing some data.
- SERP: The Search engine result page (SERP) is the page that is shown to a user after entering his search query. This page contains a list of the search results with links, title and meta description. The results can differ because search engines customize their results per user behavior and cookies. Most search engines have 10 results per page. An eye tracking study found out that most people while searching only view and click the Top 5 results on a page so getting a high rank is vital.
Domain: A domain is representing an IP Address for the server that can host a website and has a first registration date. The number of indexed pages for a domain at a specific time is named in the seo tool sistrix domain pages.
- Keywords: The search queries or keywords that users typically typed into a search engine to find content.
Landing Page: The exact page that web users can reach when following a web link address.
Backlinks: Are links from external sources that point to your website or landing page. Some tools offer you a list of backlinks. Most links also have so called anchor text or link text. This is a part or a specific text block that is shown the user before he clicks on the link and leaves the current website.
- Position: This metric tells you more about your actual ranks in the search engine result pages. You might want to you, what landing pages appears in the search results for the organic keywords and how they rank. The lower the position the better your search visibility gets. Your target will be to rank on position 1.
Impressions: The number of times where your links appeared in a search query result page (SERP). This number gives you actual information about your possible user reach and search visibility. The higher the impressions the more visibility you have. Impressions can be very different depending on the actual volume and interest of your target group for this specific search topic.
- Clicks: Each time when a user clicked your links that appeared in a search query result. Most paid models like Google Adwords and some other media networks have Cost-Per-Click payment models for selling listings and ad placements. A click is very important because it tells you, how many people followed your link to your website.
Click-through-Rate: The ratio of conversions from Impressions to clicks. Answers following question: How many people that saw my webpages have clicked on it? I most industries this number is around 3-5% depends on the topic, product, competition level, link text or services that are offered.
Define your queries with the chosen dimensions and metrics with your team
Now it is time for your well-prepared questions to be answered through data. Be sure that you clearly understood the meaning of your selected dimensions and metrics. The best way to do that is to create a small overview of all metrics and dimensions that are most relevant for you and for your colleagues. Write the questions on a whiteboard and now add the dimensions and metrics to the question block. Decide with your team and discuss your opinions. Give every query a good headline and describe the content so other colleagues can easily get into your reports.
Choosing the right data visualization software tool
Now comes the fun part of the procedure, selecting the right visualization. This can be difficult but most analyst love it to bring data into a visual aspect. Just try out some nice graphs with the queries you and your team had already defined. To find out more about this topic feel free to read our other article about: “How to use data visualization go gain deeper knowledge”.
The Bottom Line
Your SEO Monitoring dashboard is only as good as your collective understanding of your data. Shared understanding can be achieved only as a team! Your goal should be to develop yourself, your team as well as your infrastructure in order to understand and interpret a constantly changing environment and therefore open your door to success.
About us: We are a startup from Germany and develop a data analytics platform called ABIS. We are offering a out-of-the-box report and dashboard templates for your online marketing. More information about our BI Tool. Find out more!